Why Choose Christian Preschool for Your Child
Make a Choice for High-Quality Christian Preschool
When looking for a preschool, you must consider more than just the school’s approach to curriculum and discipline. There are big differences between your average preschool and a high-quality Christian preschool, and other qualities to look for beyond the class size and great facilities.
What Questions Should I Ask?
If the preschool is not a Christian preschool, then it is important to understand the basis for the care and education your child will receive. There are lots of areas where most parents and schools agree, such as child health, safety, and positive development. You should also ask yourself if the preschool is teaching values and perspectives that align with those you are teaching at home?
It goes without saying that the values and beliefs of the teacher will be passed on to her or his students. That is only natural. Get to know the teacher. Have a conversation about your values and beliefs to make sure they will be supported, and then make sure you encourage and support that teacher in return. After all, they are spending many hours a week with your child. Partner with them.
One thing that many parents believe is important is the socialization of their preschool child. This can be a key element of preparation for school. There are big differences in the social skills and growth that are fostered by a caring, mature adult, and what they will receive from interactions with other children their age. Adults understand and can interpret emotions, and have higher-level social skills. James Heckman, an economist at the University of Chicago, has even quantified the long-term economic benefits of high-quality preschool. As you evaluate a preschool, carefully consider how the environment is managed and how adult social values and structure create positive socialization for your child.
Understanding the benefits of a high-quality preschool education can give us an important insight into what we choose for our children.
The adults that care for your child, and the schedule, environment, and approach of the preschool set the pace for what your child will learn about getting along with others, and how to grow emotionally and spiritually.
As you consider the value of a Christian high quality preschool, consider these scriptures:
- Proverbs 22:6 says, “Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.”
- Psalm 127:3 proclaims, “Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him.”
- Malachi 2:15 asks, “Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring”
Consider the Unique Approach at FCS:
1. You have a voice. As a parent you are the one who is closest emotionally, mentally, and spiritually to your child, and most in tune with his or her needs. You have the right, and God-given authority, to give input into your child’s educational experience. We want you to partner with the school, not just hand over your child. At Fredericksburg Christian Preschool, this is one of our highest priorities – partnering with the parents.
“It is the desire of the faculty to work in close relationships with parents, to encourage them and to support them in their responsibilities and to assist them in providing a strong foundation for their children’s future education.” -Fredericksburg Preschool Philosophy.
2. The Bible is integrated into the curriculum. Your child not only learns about animals, but that God created them. They not only learn how to be patient, but about a loving and patient God. These values permeate all your child learns, both through lessons and by example.
3. The teacher’s beliefs and values align with yours. What your child is taught at home will be supported and reinforced at school.
4. One of the core values of Fredericksburg Christian School is “Pursue excellence in all things.” This includes the selection and use of high quality preschool curriculum. Your child will receive an excellent academic education. View the Skills Development Outline.
5. And above all, Fredericksburg Christian Preschool believes: “that each child is a unique gift from God and that He has a perfect plan for each and every child.” (Jeremiah 29:11) (Fredericksburg Christian Preschool Philosophy)