Fourth Grade Curriculum Guide
The Fourth Grade Journey
We are serious about curriculum at Fredericksburg Christian School! We stay focused on our mission of training the next generation of Christian leaders. For us, it is vital that we offer them the best academic program possible in keeping with God’s excellent character and expectations. This curriculum guide provides an overview of the program at each grade level in order for you to understand what students are taught each year at FCS.
As part of our partnership with parents, we strive to keep you informed and involved in your child’s education. We hope that this information is helpful. You are encouraged to talk with the school’s principal or a teacher of a particular grade level for more information.
A biblical worldview integration is an important component of the curriculum at FCS. We help our students to view every subject area as a way to better know the character of God and learn more about His creation, moral order and purpose for our lives. Both Christian and secular textbooks are used to develop students biblical worldview and teach them wisdom, discernment and critical thinking in all things.
Ultimately, the quality of our curriculum rests in the skillful hands of teachers and is an outgrowth of their commitment to Christian education and excellence in academics. We have an incredible calling to point to Christ in every area, including our school curriculum.
Our areas of study include:
A Christian Education in Fourth Grade
We are committed to the study of God’s Word in all our subjects and its application to our lives as the foundation for living a joyful, victorious Christian life. Daily Bible class is an essential part of spiritual development at FCS. We ultimately desire that every student discovers and strengthens a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and develops a biblical worldview.
Students read and study the Bible, sing Bible songs, memorize Scripture verses and discuss Christian character and missions.
Topics studied during Bible class include:
- Gospel message through Wordless book
- Attributes of God
- Bible study and prayer
- Easter and Christmas
- Christ and His people
- Eternal promises
- Language Arts
- Students maintain their reading skills and explore literary concepts through a class reading and study of Cricket in Times Square, Farmer Boy, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, The Magician’s Nephew, McBroom’s Wonderful One Acre Farm, and Where the Red Fern Grows. Vocabulary-building and comprehension skills are integrated throughout the program. Book reports in a variety of formats and literary genres are completed throughout the year.
- In English, students thoroughly study the structure of sentences including parts of speech, types of sentences, vocabulary, grammar, usage and mechanics. Opportunities are given regularly for students to write about a variety of topics and experience the complete writing process.
- Spelling words are learned on a weekly basis, and students are given the opportunity to participate in the ACSI Spelling Bee every year. Handwriting (cursive) is also taught and emphasized daily.
- Social Studies
- History, geography, culture, economics, and current events are the foundation of the Social Studies program where students learn about God’s providence in His world. Fourth grade topics of study include VA history, rebuilding the nation, the Wild West, the growth of cities, American expansion, and problems and progress.
- The basic principles of the scientific method are illustrated during the year. Fourth graders specifically study several areas including insects & spiders, forces & machines, electricity & magnetism, water & oceans, the moon, and Earth’s resources.
- Emphasis in fourth grade is placed in several key areas: place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, geometry, measurement, perimeter and area.
- Physical Education
- In Physical Education class, offered twice each week, students learn to appreciate the abilities of the human body and learn how to care for their bodies. Students also learn and practice skills in a variety of team, individual and lifetime sports.
- Fine Arts
- Music and art allow students to explore foundational elements of each unique art. Music teaches skills in the areas of rhythm, melody, tone color, form, style and harmony. Art works to progress students in line, shape, space, texture and color. Highlighting each student’s work at the end of the year is a Visual Arts Festival.
- Students attend weekly library class where they develop in literary topics such as the parts of a book, authors and illustrators, listening skills, genres, research skills and overall literature appreciation. It also provides them the opportunity to expand their knowledge of the library and gain responsibility through returning and checking out books.
- Students receive training in hardware and technology basics, digital citizenship, research skills, word processing and presentation application. They explore various venues that are available to create digital projects and the methods they practice are used the classroom to enhance the learning of curriculum. They train and practice using digital resources safely, ethically, and morally to impact our world for Jesus Christ. Fourth graders also learn keyboarding skills.
- Field Trips and Special Events
- Field trips and special events are also a major part of our curriculum and are coordinated with the current curriculum units. These include a VA Capitol Building tour; Port Royal One-Room Schoolhouse field trip; downtown Fredericksburg field trip, ACSI Spelling Bee, Creative Writing Festival, and Math Olympics; National Geographic Bee; Grandparents’ and Special Friends’ Day, Visual Arts Festival and Field Day.
All parents are welcome to attend our chapels for worship and sharing about God’s Word and its application to our lives.
Learn more about our Fourth Grade program at Fredericksburg Christian School
Introduce your student to a bible based education, where they can live their faith while growing in their education. Learn more about Fredericksburg Christian School and our elementary school today! Give us a call at (540) 373-5355 to learn more.