Third Grade Learning Experiences
Fredericksburg Christian School is focused on our mission of training the next generation of Christian leaders, we strive to offer them the best academic program possible in keeping with God’s excellent character and expectations. This curriculum guide is intended to provide an overview of the program at each grade level in order for you to understand what students are taught each year at FCS.
As part of our partnership with parents, we desire for you to be informed and involved in your child’s education. We hope that this information is helpful. You are encouraged to talk with the school’s principal or a teacher of a particular grade level for more information.
A biblical worldview integration is an important component of the curriculum at FCS. We desire for our students to view every subject area as a way to better know the character of God and learn more about His creation, moral order and purpose for our lives. Both Christian and secular textbooks are used to develop students in a biblical worldview and teach them wisdom, discernment and critical thinking in all things.
Ultimately, the quality of our curriculum rests in the skillful hands of teachers and is an outgrowth of their commitment to Christian education and excellence in academics. We have an incredible calling to point to Christ in every area, including our school curriculum. Our areas of study include;
A Christian Education in Third Grade
We are committed to the study of God’s Word in all our subjects and its application to our lives as the foundation for living a joyful, victorious Christian life. Daily Bible class is an essential part of spiritual development at FCS. We ultimately desire that every student discovers and strengthens a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and develops a biblical worldview.
Students read and study the Bible, sing Bible songs, memorize Scripture verses and discuss Christian character and missions.
Topics studied during Bible class include:
- Life of Christ
- Christian Heroes
- Language Arts
- Language arts is a foundational subject area, and we commit considerable time and attention to it on a daily basis. Third grade students, with their mastery of phonics and independent reading ability, begin to apply their reading skills in every subject area. Students also maintain their reading skills and explore literary concepts through a class reading and study of The Courage of Sarah Noble, Encyclopedia Brown, Mystery in the Amazon Rainforest, Pocahontas and the Strangers, and Charlotte’s Web. Students complete their first independent book report in third grade.
- In English, students thoroughly study the structure of sentences, including parts of speech, types of sentences, vocabulary, grammar, usage and mechanics. Opportunities are given regularly for students to write about a variety of topics and experience the complete writing process.
- Spelling words are learned on a weekly basis, and students are given the opportunity to participate in the ACSI Spelling Bee every year. Handwriting (cursive) is also taught and emphasized daily.
- Social Studies
- History, geography, culture, economics, and current events are the foundation of the Social Studies program where students learn about God’s providence in His world. Third grade topics of study include the Constitution, early presidents, Jefferson and moving West, the War of 1812, American democracy and the Civil War. The continent study is South America.
- The basic principles of the scientific method are illustrated during the year. Third graders specifically study several topics including the nervous system, simple and compound machines, plants, ecosystems, vertebrates and invertebrates.
- Third grade emphasis is placed in several key areas: addition and subtraction, data, multiplication and division, fractions, measurement, area and perimeter, and shapes.
- Physical Education
- In Physical Education class, offered twice each week, students learn to appreciate the abilities of the human body and are taught how to care for their bodies. Students also learn and practice skills in a variety of team, individual and lifetime sports.
- Fine Arts
- Music and art are held once a week as a way to explore foundational elements of each unique art. Music teaches skills in the areas of rhythm, melody, tone color, form, style and harmony. Students apply previously learned music skills as they learn to play the recorder. Art works to progress students in line, shape, space, texture and color. Highlighting each student’s work at the end of the year is a Visual Arts Festival.
- Students attend weekly library class where they develop in literary topics such as the parts of a book, authors and illustrators, listening skills, genres, research skills and overall literature appreciation. It also provides them the opportunity to expand their knowledge of the library and gain responsibility through returning and checking out books.
- Students receive training in hardware and technology basics, digital citizenship, research skills, word processing and presentation application. They explore various venues that are available to create digital projects and the methods they practice are used the classroom to enhance the learning of curriculum. They train and practice using digital resources safely, ethically, and morally to impact our world for Jesus Christ.
- Field Trips and Special Events
- Field trips and special events are also a major part of our curriculum and are coordinated with the current curriculum units. These include Charlotte’s Web Day, ACSI Spelling Bee and Math Olympics, Grandparents’ and Special Friends’ Day, Visual Arts Festival, Stratford Hall field trip, Fredericksburg Battlefield field trip, Science Museum of Virginia field trip and Field Day.
All parents are welcome to attend our chapels for worship and sharing about God’s Word and its application to our lives.
Learn more about our Third Grade program at Fredericksburg Christian School
If you’re looking to introduce your student to a bible based education, we believe this is the place for you. Learn more about Fredericksburg Christian School and their elementary school today! Give us a call at (540) 373-5355.